Many old Kay-made banjos use the "single coordinator rod" system seen above and have a metal or plastic adjustable neck-angle bracket that supposedly lets you set action sort-of on-the-fly. I've found a number of flaws in the design and these days I have no patience with setting-up these banjos unless I fix the flaws.
Here's a simple way to install side dots on instruments. Above are the tools needed -- a drill (I prefer a hand drill as it's slower to mess something up), proper bit (this is 1/16" to match the 1/16" plastic StewMac side dot material), gel super glue, an awl, and a chisel.
Dear everyone -- I've received a lot of emails that I haven't returned yet. I'm sorry! This week all my spare time outside of my regular work flow has been spent getting my taxes done. It's been a busy last year, apparently, with a lot of paper-trails to follow. I will return your messages -- please don't lose heart!
In my last workshop post, I showed the regluing of this bridge. In this post I'm going to cut a new saddle slot, stain, and finish it to match period aesthetics. Above you can see that I've marked the saddle location and size, drilled the "ends" of the slot, and used my Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel to cut the edges of the slot to depth.
This is a customer's gorgeous Howe-Orme cylinder-top guitar from, apparently, the 1890s. It's in overall absurdly-excellent shape, though the bridge needs a reglue and it will eventually get a fret level/dress, setup, and small bridge modification as well.
Bandurrias are tres cool, but they've got some distinct issues due to 12-string tension and the Spanish heel design. This one is one I've slacked-off on for a long time until the proper repair solution gelled for me -- as the neck joint had caved into the top and sprung the side-seams. Of course, a few layers of old repairs accompanied this condition, too.